Monday 23 March 2020

Even more sowing...

As March starts creeping away from us, I'm out in the garden even more, sowing as many seeds as I possibly can. Sadly, we're troubled with Covid 19 and the schools are currently closed to help prevent the spread of the virus, so I've enrolled the help of my two children, giving them lessons in plant biology at the same time!

So, today we've started with peas. My kids will pick these and eat them fresh so we're sowing plenty of these to get growing. There's seven varieties that I have and these are:

Avola
Onward
Rondo
Meteor
Hurst Green Shaft
Kleine Rheinlanderin
Kelvedon Wonder

This will be a good test to see which varieties will grow well and which will produce the most peas. It'll be good to compare the claims on the packet to the actual plants.

I always grow peas in toilet rolls, which I collect all year round (much to the annoyance of my husband), as I was told many years ago that peas don't like to have their roots disturbed. Having been told this I have always grown peas in cardboard as I can simply put them out in the soil complete with their pots.
Another way of growing under glass to start your peas off, as a fellow gardener uses, is to sow the seeds in guttering. My friend does this so she can simply push the peas out into prepared trenches, thus not really disturbing the roots too much.
The final way (and probably the easiest), is to sow the seeds directly into the soil where you want to grow them. To do this, you will need to protect your seedlings from birds (especially pigeons). I've done this too and for basic protection I have used netting, until the plants were around 20cm tall. Peas have grown successfully for me this way, but it took more effort with weeding!
Peas will need support once you've got them in place as they are climbers. They're not fussy, so you can use a variety of materials for this. I have used hazel and other wood, bamboo canes and string. As long as whatever you choose to use has the strength to support your peas and is a good height (50cm-80cm is usually what I aim for). Last year I used two stakes and some chicken wire, which was good enough.

From compost filled toilet rolls to tasty peas. 

I also got my children to prepare one of the raised beds in the polytunnel to sow some salad crop. The raised bed was already weeded and there's no need to dig the soil there as it's already in great condition. My son topped the bed with fresh compost to give it some much needed nutrients, raking it on the surface. Next, my daughter used a small hoe to mark out four trenches. The two of them then added seeds. These were radishes, kale, leaf beet and Swiss chard. Both watered (without any arguments) before leaving me to finish off some more sowing.

This year I've opted for growing onions from seed, which is what I used to do when I first moved in with Steve and took to working the garden. I've gone for classic choices in red and white onions: Red Baron and Bedfordshire Champion. I'll be aiming to grow Japanese onions later in the year (sowing usually happens in July/August time), to grow onions in succession.


Onion seeds are small, black and therefore difficult to see once in the soil. I sowed mine in two small trays.


When preparing pots and trays, take care to look for hidden pests. I had a great number of snails and slugs tucked away in various places. None were killed - just carefully placed as far away as possible!


I also took the time to sow kohl rabi, broccoli, cape gooseberry and sweet peppers. All are being kept in the polytunnel until I take out my pots (with tender plants) from the green house and create some space there.

I'm really happy with my tomatoes - several varieties are germinating! I did put these seeds in heated propagators, which are still on. It is still early in the year and last night we did have a frost, so I'm taking my time with plants that prefer warmth. No aubergines or courgettes yet though so watch this space!


Hello babies! I'm really looking forward to these growing on.


A closer look at a tomato seedling.


The broad beans are flowering so I couldn't miss an opportunity to photograph these lovelies. Vegetable flowers can be just as beautiful as cut flowers to me. 


Finally, I'll be trying to work in the garden a little bit every day now, to really get things going. There's still an awful lot to do but while I'm at home, I do have the time to give the garden a bit more of my attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment