Sunday 5 February 2017

Seedy Sunday

   When my husband had informed me that his local reserve volunteering day had been cancelled due to the potential bad weather, I was quite pleased as it meant that the whole family could go out on a day trip instead.

   I had previously read about Seedy Sunday in a magazine and having thought that this was a lovely idea, I wanted to visit. It was also an opportunity to see what Brighton is like these days and I must admit that the day was nice with a visit to the pier and some nice lunch.

   Now, back to the seed swap. It was being held a college so it was easy to find. The staff and volunteers there were all very pleasant. It did cost us to enter the seed swap, which was £3 per adult (children went free). What happens at this event is that you can swap seeds with others to expand your collection of varieties, using up any surplus seed that you may have, or you can simply buy seeds there. There's lots of stalls and there are talks throughout the day. Unfortunately, as my two children are quite young still, they didn't want to attend a talk so I missed out on that part of the day. We did take a good look around at the various stalls and I bought a couple of seed packets. These were white tomatoes (supposedly very tasty so I'm hoping that these will do well for me) and skirret, which has had some publicity recently as an historical vegetable that was a staple for people in Tudor times.

   The event was busy with a lot of people showing interest in preserving heritage seeds and charities and communities looking for volunteers. It would be great if something like this could be held where I live as there's much interest in gardening. We shall see. Seedy Sunday is something that is held once a year and has done so since 2001. Maybe now it's time that such events were held in other towns and cities?

 The Seed Swap event this year.
  It's not too difficult to collect seeds no matter how big or small.

   As for my own seeds and seedlings, I shall be returning to those for next time. Till now, keep gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment